Monday, June 18, 2007

My love of Engrish

For those who don't know, the broad definition of Engrish is English translations that have errors, often comical.

I love Engrish. It cracks me up. I look for it and sometimes go to sites like http://www.engrish.com/ to see if there's anything new posted. Sometimes it makes me laugh out loud. There are the emails that occasionally make the rounds that have lists of bad translations like this one http://ayersline.com/Jokes/badtrans.htm and I always read them with amusement.

One common place to find Engrish is in fortune cookies. I was dining with my mom when she got the fortune "A Happy Day! You better shirt all kind of overwork." I kept that inscrutable fortune cookie in my purse for three years. I stumbled upon someone who wanted to BUY it from me, so I gave it to him- I figured if he was willing to pay for it, he should have it.

Recently, while looking for a new electric razor for my husband for Father's Day, I stumbled across these gems on Amazon in the customer review section:

I used to have a simpler shaver, with 3 head but a lot simpler than this one. Now I have a really good one. My skin when I end shaving becomes really soft. My previous shaver (Philips also) used to leave a lot of hairs back in my face and almost all other I could fell with touch. NOW the felling at the end is awesome, my face becomes really nice in the touch. A nice product, I'm really happy with him.

I was looking for a cheap quick alternative to brades, this seems to meet my expectation. For around 30 bucks, you really can go wrong. Time saving, priceless. I usually finish my shaving with brades in about 10 to 15 minutes, now it's 10 seconds.

I'm not a hard user so all stuff is awesome!

There is a flip side to this though too. Tattoos that utilize Asian characters, Arabic or Sanscrit are currently popular. However, word on the street is that if you are going to get one of these tattoos, you need to be really careful because people are getting tattoos that don't say what they think they do.

So I wonder if there is some web site that some 40-year-old Asian woman likes to go to that makes her laugh. It has pictures of people who have things like "I wet my bed until I was 17" tattoed on their shoulder or "Only losers get tattoos on their necks" tattooed on their neck.

I hope so.

That would make me laugh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

bravo betsy!! thanks for making me smile and please do link me the site, should you ever find out it's real!! :)