Friday, July 31, 2009

Project Grace

A dear friend of mine died recently. Grace was only 64 and she died of pancreatic cancer. It was a horrible end to a gentle and generous person. I will miss her tremendously.

Grace was a knitter and seamstress extraordinaire. She could puzzle out a pattern in her head and solve other people's mistakes and mis-stitches. She could create patterns and tailor and calculate in her head. Her ability was both fascinating and impressive.

I have had the good fortune to inherit a mostly-finished blanket that was part of her legacy. It's about ten inches too short and it comes without any notes or patterns. This is it:
The blanket
There are a total of seventeen patterned panels across the front and a border around it.

A couple of the patterns are easy to figure out:
This one is a simple X and O cable with a Diamond Bobble cable in the center
X and O / Diamond Bobble / X and O

This one is a Trophy Cable on either side and a Seed Stitch Diamond in the center:
Diamond Cable with Trophy Cable

And the center section is a simple diamond trellis cable:
Center Panel- Diamond Cable

Then there are the Mystery Stitches:

Bramble?
Mystery Stitch

Slip Stitch Diamonds?
Slip Stitch Diamonds

I think that finishing this blanket without a pattern is the perfect way to remember Grace. I will have to use my head and I will have to be careful. I'm checking my gauge to make sure it will go seamlessly from her work to mine- I'll have to use a larger diameter needle- she always knit looser than I do. I've been thinking about how to recreate the mystery stitches and I've poured through my books. I think I have one of them solved- I found a pattern that looks like it's the right one and I have a swatch knitted up that I'll subject to a close comparison. The "Slip Stitch Diamond" I haven't found a pattern for yet, but I think I've worked it out in my head. I have a swatch of that started too- I don't have it perfect yet, but I think I'm on the right track.

Grace would have it figured out by now, most likely. She'd have loved the challenge.

I love it too.

4 comments:

The Momma Chronicles said...

Wwwwwow. That is amazing! Bravo for taking it on, I can't wait to see the finished work.

kathy said...

Grace would have loved to see her work on the internet! She also would be happy to see her work being finished by some one that she loved and charished.
It makes us very happy that you will finish what she started!!! and love the memmorie of her too.
Like she told Mira "Grandma will be the angle on your shoulder."
She'll be looking over your shoulder too!
Love, Grace Parker and Family

Sara said...

Betsy, You are amazing! What a wonderful tribute to you sweet friend.

What a beautiful blanket, too! I can tell she was VERY talented!

Betsy said...

Update: I have now knit 4 rows and the transition looks seamless.

The gauge is correct (I switched to a size 9 needle) and with some detective work the two mystery stitches revealed themselves- the Bramble section is indeed a bramble and the slip-stitch diamonds are also slip-stitch diamonds, although the ladies at the knitting store have never seen it done that way before. Luckily Grace left a clue on that panel or I'd still be trying to work it out.

So far so good. In about six weeks I expect I'll be able to post an updated photo. Thanks for the good words everyone!

-Betsy