Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Mystery of the Cookie Cutter

I have lots of cookie cutters that I've gotten from various sources. I've purchased many of them myself- there's a site that I like using- great prices, fast service- it's this one: Photobucket

Others were handed to me in their ubiquitous fruitcake tins, complete with a strip of masking tape and the words "Cookie Cutters" written across the tape in black permanent marker.

Some of them are easy to identify. The teddy bears, bells, pine trees and gingerbread men are obvious. Some are less so- the Christmas wreath is plain enough when it's decorated, but not as identifiable before adornment. Some are more obscure- Santa with a pack or a reindeer can sit to the side, unincluded until halfway through the cookie making process when someone declares, "I know what that is!" Is it a bear? Or a dog? Or a sheep? Who knows? Clearly that one is some type of quadruped and the kids will enjoy decorating it how they see fit.

Then there are the other ones that remain a mystery.

I finally figured out how to determine what those cookie cutters represent: ask a three-year-old.

I have one cookie cutter that I'd routinely pull out just to try to solve the mystery. "What is this?" Most people wouldn't even venture a guess.
Photobucket

One person declared it was a leprechaun with a very large penis. "Come on," I asked,"why would someone make a cookie cutter in the shape of a leprechaun with a very large penis?" "Well," she retorted, "If you're so sure that's not what it is, then tell me- what is it?" I had no answer for her- I'd been trying to figure it out for a couple of years. Since I had no answer for her, she declared herself right.

I finally found out what it is.

"Ted," I asked yesterday while making gingerbread cookies with the kids, "What is this cookie cutter supposed to be?" Without pause he answered, "It's a penguin, mommy!" That's much more appealing than the leprechaun. My other mystery cookie cutter was identified as "A rabbit wearing a hat, Mommy!" Very well then.

Anyone want a penguin cookie?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also have a mystery cookie cutter that as a child I thought was a stocking with a mouse wearing a giant hat. As an adult, I have no idea! Yours looks like a large man riding a tiny donkey to me, or Mary on a donkey headed to Bethlehem?