Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Rescue Me!

Ha! Fooled you. I don't want to be rescued. I don't need to be rescued.


I've had a couple of well-meaning people tell me that if I ever need a break from the kids- as in NEED a break from the kids- I should give them a call and they'll take them off my hands for a couple of hours. Um. No thanks. If I really get to that point, that's what my husband is for. Heck, that's what Baby Einstein videos are for.

What I'd really like is for someone to offer- without my having to reach some kind of breaking point- to take the kids for a couple of hours. That kind of offer would help relieve some of the stress and isolation that being a stay-at-home mom can create.

I think that it's good for kids to have relationships with others that are independent of their immediate family. I have always had a close relationship with my aunt, independent of my parents. I went to boarding school and my aunt and I wrote letters to each other then and the relationship continues strongly to this day. We've even taken vacations together. My relationship with her is one of the best things about my life.

I have tried to convince my well-meaning family and friends that if they are waiting for me to reach some kind of breaking point in order to give me some respite then it's never going to happen. As much as my kids drive me crazy sometimes, I've never come close to doing something bad to them, unless you count putting them in their room an hour early for their nap. I will confess that happens on occasion.

I am not one to simply call up and ask for a babysitter unless I have a tangible need, whether it's a dentist appointment or the hair dresser (which doesn't happen as often as it should.) In the meantime, my kids are not seeing as much of these folks as they would if someone simply offered.

I do have a couple of people who check up on me and make sure that my life is not being overwhelmed by my kids, so I suppose I shouldn't complain. One of them is, of course, that same aunt with whom I have the close relationship. She never tells me that if I ever need to be rescued, she'll be there. Instead, she is there. Every week we get together, rain or shine.

My kids adore her.

The ironic thing is that while she's never offered to rescue me, she's one of the reasons I'll never need to be rescued. While others wait for me to call in distress, she is building a solid relationship with my kids, independent of me. Funny how that works out, isn't it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Betsy,
Don't let what people say offend you. We've known that Ryan has been different for quite a while. Imagine our sense of relief that the school is finally acknowledging his A.D.D. We don't label our children with a medical term in any manner, because they are going to grow up to be the best "Ryan" or "Ted" that they learn to be. As you stated, they are going to do it "their way." I can recall feeling bad when a great friend of mine would say, "why isn't Corrine potty trained, Tara is." (both only 18 mo. old) But when Corrine turned two, the light switch flipped and she was "completely" potty trained, whereas Tara still wet the bed at night and pooped in her pants. I hadn't read any of your postings lately. Truly enjoyed them. Corrine was born only weeks ago, now she is graduating. Don't sweat the small stuff. Someone told me early on to repeat to myself, "this too shall pass." C U soon, Terri

Joan said...

Great post, Betsy.

I AM that aunt. When I was 50, my niece had twins. She returned to work and left the kids with a nanny. The nanny took a better paying day job and could only work evenings. Since I was not working at the time, I said, "Hey, I'll take care of the kids." This shocked my family as I am not a mom and never wanted to be a mom.

Ah, but being an Aunt, actually Great Aunt, is special. We spent lots of time together for 18 months before they spent time in pre-school. The boys are six and a half now. We have a very close relationship and I am grateful for that. Rescue? What a great phrase you selected. Some of us understood the "rescue" could be either party in that relationship.

BTW, LOVE the literate blog you created. Keep posting! You are a good writer. ~Joan